10 or 7 ELOA (PEL) days.

General discussion
lbow

Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:07 am

KevinFlynn.jpg
KevinFlynn.jpg (142.2 KiB) Viewed 836 times

Sisters and Brothers:

Yesterday Thursday April 12th I attended a meeting at Queens Park with MPP from Oakville the
Honourable Kevin Flynn Minister of Labour and Honourable Kathryn McGarry minister of transportation
from the Kitchener Cambridge Waterloo area. Also in attendance were the 3 master bargaining chairs
from GM, FCA and of course Ford. National President Jerry Dias along with Assistant to the President
Shane Wark along with members from Toyota and Honda assembly. Topic of discussion the personal
emergency leave days.

As I’m sure everyone is quite aware the bill the Ontario Liberals passed allows all workers 10 PEL days 2
of which are paid. The ONLY sector with restrictions was of course the auto sector. Special regulations
were put in place only allowing auto workers 7 PEL days instead of 10 that all other workers receive. We
as a contingent sent a loud and clear message to Minister Flynn that the auto sector should not be
treated any differently than other Ontario workers. Auto workers deal with the same day to day issues
that all other Ontarians encounter. Several scenarios were raised during the round table discussion
outlining the struggles some auto workers face. It was important to have members from Honda and
Toyota as they are not covered by a collective agreement and therefore not subject to a grievance
procedure. Once PEL days are used up it’s a very fast track to termination in those non-union facilities.
Seven PEL days can be used up very quickly and then workers are forced in some cases to make very
difficult decisions.

I have always found Minister Flynn to be very fair and always on the side of the working people. He
always attends our annual Day of Mourning event in Oakville and has always been a big proponent of
the Oakville facility. That being said Minister Flynn has organized a panel to study the feasibility not only
from an auto worker standpoint but also from a company perspective. I asked Mr. Flynn about a
possible time frame and he assured me it will be done very quickly. I was happy at least with the
direction the government is heading and also because they took the time to listen to our concerns. Time
will tell whether it’s all smoke and mirrors or the government actually listens to it’s constituents.

In Solidarity

Dave Thomas

President Unifor Local 707
caPtCha

Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:56 am

Hopefully something comes of this. It is surprising that we were so easily singled out considering all of the positive changes to the ESA in other sectors.
lbow

Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:01 am

Dear Toyota team members,

Last December, I shared with you important information about special exemptions in the Employment Standards Act that hurt auto workers, including at Toyota, by limiting your access to Emergency Leaves of Absence (called Personal Emergency Leave in Ontario law).

Unifor has said ever since that this exemption is not fair to auto workers, and completely unjustified. We have been working to get the decision removed, including circulating a petition on the issue that many workers at Toyota signed.

Last week, Unifor National President Jerry Dias delivered that petition directly to Ontario Labour Minister Kevin Flynn and Transportation Minister Kathryn McGarry. Dias was joined by several Toyota, Honda, F&P Manufacturing and Detroit Three auto workers, who told the ministers how the unfair exemption will hurt their families.

After a frank discussion, Minister Flynn committed to creating a panel that will study the issue further and advise him on next steps. One member from that panel will represent labour.

It is important that we continue to let Ministers Flynn and McGarry, as well as Premier Kathleen Wynne, know that auto workers deserve the same protections under the law as any worker.

If you haven’t done so already, it is not too late to sign the petition. Working together, we can ensure fairness for auto workers in Ontario. If you want more details on how the changes affect you, please don't hesitate to contact me.

In solidarity,

Josh Coles
National Representative/Organizer
Josh.Coles@unifor.org

http://petition.web.net/unifor/node/82
crow

Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:59 am